- September 17, 2018

Guide Dead After Bear Attack Near Turpin Meadows

by Jackson Hole. Media

Hunting guide Mark Uptain was discovered deceased this afternoon at approximately 1:15pm by Search & Rescue personnel.

Uptain and a bow hunter  were involved in a bear attack Friday in the Teton Wilderness while field dressing an elk near Terrace Mountain, approximately 5.8 miles northeast of the Turpin Meadow Trailhead.

Florida resident, Corey Chubon, shot an elk during a guided bow hunt late Thursday afternoon. He and his guide, Mark Uptain of Martin Outfitters, were unable to locate the wounded animal before nightfall. The pair returned Friday morning to locate and remove the elk. They found the undisturbed carcass in the early afternoon and were preparing to pack out the elk when they were aggressively charged by two large bears. Chubon was able to run to his pack gear a few yards away and retrieve a pistol but was unable to safely fire a shot at the bear that had struck Uptain. The attacking bear then spun, charged Chubon, grabbed his foot, and dragged him to the ground. He sustained injuries to his leg, chest, and arm, but was able to throw the gun to Uptain and get loose before running from the scene to phone for help. Initial reports indicate that the second bear did not engage either Chubon or Uptain.

An interagency helicopter was dispatched to the scene to assist with transport of the injured hunters. Chubon was taken to St John’s Medical Center for treatment to his wounds. But Search and Rescue personnel were unable to locate Uptain before the search was suspended for the evening. An Interagency team from Teton County Sheriff and Search and Rescue, Wyoming Game and Fish Department, Grand Teton National Park, and Bridger-Teton National Forest resumed the search at 6:30am Saturday morning.


Official cause of death will be determined by the Teton County Coroner’s office.


Other hunters in the area should be aware of the search and rescue operations and the recent bear activity

Leave a comment